My Blog List

Monday, September 3, 2012

Echo in the Bone cover art


I love Diana Gabadon's Outlander book series. I also like the cover art for the books. So I am attempting to do a series of small quilts (8 inches square) based on the covers. The quilts will all have dupioni silk as the background. I had some trouble with the first one. I hand embroidered using metallic thread the Celtic frame. Then the piece did not lay flat. I soaked the whole thing, and it got a little flatter. Then I remembered Jude Hill's kantha stitching, so I used a matching thread in the middle and stitched many rows across, which worked. I used a gold machine quilting thread to quilt the background. I don't know if you can see the little sparkles in the background. It was hard to do, but I like the result.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice art quilts, Ro! Great meeting you today at the recycled class. Linda. HomeForGood.Net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed looking at your blog. It was fun at the recycled class--don't know what I'll do with the ideas from the class, but I did visit Goodwill on the way home and bought 4 shirts.
    I have posted some of the work I have been doing in my latest Pamela Allen class, if you care to look. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete